Tuesday, October 5, 2010

FINAL ENTRY

Over the course of the semester we covered a broad range of old and new communication technologies. When choosing this subject as an elective I was not 100% aware of what the subject entailed. However, I think it has been to my benefit that I took this subject as I now understand concepts of new media that i was completely unaware of. I think that it is important that people doing a degree such as journalism understand these topics as the industry itself is changing to work and utilize the technologies available. Obviously when working in a field that is the basis of communication for the general public it is important to have a knowledge and understanding of devices and technologies which can be used.

We began the semester by investigating the difference between old and new communication technologies clearly identifying and gate-keeping what is considered old and new. What devices are still used, what technologies are being developed and what items are from a bygone era.

The second week we discussed the language of the cinema and what devices and terminology is used. Considering that television is the most popular way of communicating with the masses it was interesting to see how the construction of televisions shows is though out.

Third week saw the history of computing and the internet. I would not call myself a computer genius so I found this weeks topic quite informative and beneficial to how I use the internet and how and when certain things were developed.

Week four was a week were we investigated from big screen to small - the revolution of Youtube! I also found this week rather interesting as it is something that people now take-for granted. I think that this week really highlighted the way in which technology has developed and I think that it is important for people (especially gen y) that there never used to be a google and look something up on youtube.

The fifth week investigated consumption and production where in the tutorials we made a culture jam, aiming to leak in to the media in some way. This activity was rather fun and I thought stepped away from the mundane tasks which uni sometimes presents.

Week six focused around media, new media and social media and as a tute task had to investigate social networks such as Facebook and identify who owns the rights to things published through such websites. I found this quite interesting as facebook  recently had changed their agreement with subscribers where they owned the rights to everything published through their social networking sight. I think most people in the course related to this as they have succumb to the facebook fiasco.

Week seven investigated creative commons and how it is used in society at large and what this means for the publisher of the content. I was unaware of any such thing and found this topic rather interesting.

The eighth week was centered around virtual philosophy and virtual reality. I found this topic very interesting and it just proves how much technology is advancing.
In this tute we looked at cyperpunk genre and i think that it is a genre that revolutionized cinema, allowing the imagination to run wild.

I think that overall i have learnt a great deal about topics which I normally would have never known about. I am glad that I now have a more complex understanding of communication technologies and how we, as society rely so heavily on them.
All in all I think that this is an essential subject for people who want to pursue a career in anything that involves communicating to people at large.

No comments:

Post a Comment